Ah, the joys of having readers and feedback - with the emphasis on feed. After this morning's post about my six month Vada Pav odyssey a recipe has turned up in my inbox.
Bun - 2
For Mint Chutney:
Mint Leaves - A bunch
Tamarind- a little salt
Potato - 1
Chilli Powder- 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder - 1 Tbsp
Garam masala - 1 Tsp
Gram Flour (Besan)- 1/ 2 cup
Mint chutney Preparation method:
Heat a pan and fry the coconut.Keep aside. Heat oil in a pan and saut� the green chilli and mint leaves. Grind with salt and tamarind into a smooth paste.
1. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt.
2. Make balls out of this and flatten them to the size of the bun.
3. Mix the gram flour with salt and water into a thick batter.
4. Dip the flattened vadas into the batter and deep fry them.
Making the Vada Pav:
1. Spread one side of the bun with mint chutney.
2. Sprinkle little garam masala powder, chilli powder and salt on the other side.
3. Keep the vada in-between the bun.
4. A tasty Indian Burger is ready.
On reflection, I wonder if the Vada is the same stuff that is in a Masala Dosai?