When Andy H was configuring it on his iPhone at my recommendation he asked me what Family Profiles were. I didn't know, and wondered if perhaps the feature wasn't live when I went through installation and set up on my Android.
Herewith the skinny on this shiny new extension:
One feature passengers have frequently requested is an easy way to pay for family and friends. That’s why we are excited to announce Family Profiles, a new feature we’re launching that lets up to 10 riders safely and easily share one payment method.
Here’s how it works:I've set it up for Ben today. It will come in handy as soon as Thursday, when - as I will have watched the England Wales footie on licensed premises - I won't be able to drive and pick him up myself in the evening. We can give it a dry run then. I like the fact that I will know the name of the driver and license plate of the car that picks him up as well as being able to follow the journey online.
For the Family Profile organizer:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Uber app.
- Go to Menu and choose Settings.
- Scroll down to “Add a Family Profile” and select the contacts you would like to add.
- As soon as the Family Profile rider accepts the invitation, they can begin requesting rides from their own phone using the Family Profile as their payment method.
- The cost of the trip will automatically be billed to the Family Profile and the organizer will receive a receipt for every ride.
Actually I had to ferry him around this morning which meant that I missed the Chiefs beating Wales in a 40-7 rout. That was a lucky break. Thank goodness I hadn't set it up yesterday.
I have also noticed (brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces) that Uber operates in Cardiff (https://www.uber.com/cities/cardiff/), though at the moment when I have tested it there it seems a little hit and miss compared to its ubiquity here in the smoke.